The following list of resources provide information about inclusion in sport. We hope these give you some ideas and strategies for consideration.
Lord’s Taverners Australia – Victoria
Softball Australia: Inspirational Jake is breaking down barriers
Inclusive Case Study
Coaching Fact Sheet
2016 Sport Inclusion Forum – NSO presentations
2015 Sport Inclusion Forum – NSO presentations
2014 Sport Inclusion Forum – NSO presentations
Play by the Rules
“7 Pillars of Inclusion”
Sport Inclusion Australia uses the “7 Pillars of Inclusion” as a framework for developing an approach to inclusion. The “7 Pillars of Inclusion” was developed by Play by the Rules and is freely available for organisations to use to help identify strengths and weaknesses in their approach to inclusion across all population groups. The 7 Pillars (Access, Attitude, Choice, Partnerships, Communication, Policy and Opportunity) provides an excellent starting point for NSOs to help identify their goals for inclusion of people with an intellectual disability in their sport.
The NSIA acknowledges ‘Play by the Rules’ for allowing the NSIA to utilise the “7 Pillars of Inclusion” to assist in the development of the alliance.
Find out about how linking schools with local clubs can make a difference to community programs. Local partnerships really do work!
Find out about how building the capacity of local providers can lead to an increase in participation in sport.
Swimming Australia: Inclusion Resources
• Aim to educate and influence the swimming community. Tips are also built into various parts of the Coach, Official and Club education programs. http://www.swimming.org.au/article.php?group_id=6699
• Provide clubs with information about how to create inclusion policies and strategies as part of the Inclusive Club Standard program.
• Multi Class coaching – http://youtu.be/hcIC7XQXDFk
• Classification and Multi class swimming – http://youtu.be/EX36IRLfe_o
• Swimming for people with disability – http://youtu.be/2BX0rTXiZyM
• Meet MC swimmers – http://youtu.be/liXiaXYRy8U
• World record swims at trials – http://youtu.be/OpbrGZn8D5E
• BHP Billiton Super Series MC events – http://youtu.be/FDSaiTCOMNA
• Club Swimming – GO Swim! – http://youtu.be/xi7ilsRwbWA
AFL National Inclusion Carnival
AFL have achieved some fantastic outcomes in the area of inclusion in recent times, most notably the National Inclusion Carnival which took place in Melbourne in June 2014. The following video below provides a great snapshot of the event, and shows just what can be achieved by sport when it takes on the role of running an inclusive event for people with a disability.